Pages

March 16, 2009

Gamer Girl


Another week, another book review.
Last night, I read the book pictured at left. It was fun, but I doubt I'll even remember it after a few weeks. It was well written, with internet slang effortlessly incorporated, which is always nice to see. Also, the protagonist, Maddy, has a strong voice and ideas. As I read, I couldn't just shove myself into her shoes; she and her problems were completely separate from my own.
On the downside, however, was the horrifically predictable plot. I've been spending the past few weeks untangling various forshadowings in A Tale of Two Cities for English, and after that, the barely-hidden hints of this book were somewhat boring. The minimal plot twists were easily unknotted, and when Maddy nabbed her requisite guy, I was left devoid of warm, fuzzy tingles.
So, I'd recommend Gamer Girl to anyone who wants a fun read, or who gets a kick out of MMORPG romance. If you want the moralizing, sans story, check out this link for the author's musings on bullying.

I'll do the connecting the book to my life part tomorrow. I have two essays to write.
XOX, Tea

0 comments: