Pages

April 30, 2009

Coolest Dream Ever

This is the story of a dream in which Archie and I go on an adventure. It's highly exciting, and by the time it ended, it was characters more than Archie and me, but whatever.
...
The basic premise is that the entire human population is living in a virtual-reality video game, but non of them know it.
In the beginning, Archie and I get paired up for a homework assignment. His family had been living in the apartment complex (think something like this with mine for a while, but we barely knew each other. Our assignment is to find something in our attic and determine its historical value. We both live in these weird sort of box apartments that sit on tracks and more around to different arrangements, so neither of us has an attic, and we must resort to the basement of our apartment building, a dark, rather eerie cement-walled room.
In it, we find two blue, hexagonal platforms attached by a metallic ribbon. we can't life them at first, but he has a couple of strength pills/power ups. However, he isn't used to the enhanced state they cause, and accidentally flings on of the hexagons up. The lower one, however, stays stuck tightly to the ground, and the second one comes to an abrupt half above it, and it stands, suspended in mid air, its only connection to the ground the flimsy ribbon. The space between the hexagons is filled by a strange, warm, welcoming blue light.
We eventually work up the guts to enter it. I go first, and wake up suspended in liquid, stuck full of tubes and wires. I instinctually struggle, trying to get out, and everything immediately retreats. We had worked out from the terminal that this was an old-fashioned video game, but that still didn't explain why I was standing naked in the middle of an empty fish-tank. I fervently hoped that I hadn't accidentally stumbled across an "adult" game.
I leave the room, reach the street, and yell loudly, looking for Archie. We eventually find each other, and after some searching, use temporary terminals on the street to get home. When we get back home, we start getting warnings: food low, approaching lack of power, use terminal to replenish. We start returning every day to scavenge for food, devouring the faded, expired packaged goods in the dusty supermarkets. We decide to hide our discovery and do our project on some old photos instead, not wanting to have to bring the terminal into school and lose game time and weaken the avatars. We eat in the game, constantly, exploring the faded wonders of Manhattan. We stop eating at home, in our apartment, and our institutionalized.
I'll post the rest tomorrow. I have to get back to my homework.

2 comments:

ec said...

WOW, that was the most detailed dream I have ever read, wayyyyyyy cooler than all my dreams could ever be. I got lost about 5 lines in but then again my dreams are the most basic things ever. I swear, 99% of my nightmares takes place in US where Ms. Opmin gives back a paper and I get like a 2 or I comment and ms. Opmin just goes: "WRONG"!!!!!! it's really frightening.... Of course, my good dreams are the opposite of the above. Pretty sad huh?
YOU HAVE TO TELL ME WHO THIS ARCHIE IS!!!!!!!!! Do I know him???

Also, that apartment is soooo cool...it will be mine when we get rich off of Pertinax...

Nyx said...

hahaha this is so intense! please post the rest!
vicky - look up the song "wrong" by depeche mode. haha..