Pages

May 23, 2009

Casual Fridays

Or, in my case, shoeless Fridays.

I just don't like wearing, shoes, okay? It isn't as if most people even notice, and when they do, they laugh, and think that I'm slightly insane, but whatever.

I did, however, wear shoes to the gala (which I went to with Nyx) last night. We had to conversations with other people while we were there. In the first, we ran into Kerry and Lysander.

Nyx and I walked up to them, Nyx started talking a bit, and I stood there kind of awkwardly, because the conversation wasn't really related to me at all. After a minute, give or take 45 seconds, she decided to introduce me.

"Oh, guys, this is Tea. Tea, this is Lysander."
"Hi, it's nice to meet you," I said.
"You too," he responded.
We both stood awkwardly for a moment while I tried to determine whether I should attempt a handshake, since his hands were full, but it felt rude to just stand there, so the silence dragged on for a bit, until Nyx opened her mouth to talk and Kerry and I interrupted simultaneously, him with "I know Tea already" and me with "I already know Kerry."
I checked out of the conversation at that point.

As we went up the stairs, we passed Ryan, Ida, and Cammie. I said, "Hi, hi, hi," my voice growing progressively higher pitched with each, and Ida, who was third, laughed.
"Hi, Tea."
"Hello," I replied, greeting her again, as Nyx and I continued up the stairs.
"Oh," Ida called, "are you wearing shoes?"
"Of course!"
"I don't believe it," said Cammie.
"Let me see," Ida ordered.
I swung my leg over the banister, flip-flop and all. "See? Shoe!"
"Good job."
Unfortunately, I think I managed to lose Nyx's socks at some point during this conversation, which I really do feel quite badly about.

---------

I leave you with my final essay using my midterm planning from Western Humanities, this essay about Historical Values.

During the Renaissance, they like Renaissance Men. This is because this era was horribly repressive towards women, so they didn't want to be Renaissance Women. Also, Renaissance Men knew a whole lot of stuff, like Da Vinci, who was awesome. As far as art goes, there was Michelangelo, who spent years of his life on his back (painting a ceiling, of course). They were also really religious, so Michelangelo painted a lot of overly muscled angels. The government was decentralized, which is a big word, so should be used frequently in essays, so the church took up the decentralized slack with the powerful, decentralized pope, who did many powerful decentralized things, because decentralization is decentralizingly important.

In Rome, they were big on Pietas, which, unfortunately, has nothing to do with Tas flavored pie. They did their duty and had a big army, and the had Gravitas, which we still have too, since I have yet to float away. Gravitas is also exemplified in the Star Wars Storm Troopers, but I have no idea how, since I can't remember what Gravitas is, but it probably has something to do with their sick awesome artificial gravity. Dignitas is like dignity, but spelled wrong, according to my spell checker, and it caused fighting and class separation. This is why my eschewing of dignity and not wearing shoes is good and will end all fighting and class separation.

The End.

8 comments:

ec said...

HAHAHAHAAHHA...I could totally see you as some barefoot Renaissance woman wandering around Ancient Rome...mumbling about science stuff (ie: C'mon people, all the evidence points towards geocentricity!!!"

BTW: how's your story coming? I'd say that I'm about 5/6 done with mine...

Nyx said...

actually, i'm of the opinion that gravitas is a kind of savory gravy.
perhaps served with brown rice.

and don't worry about the socks - they weren't even mine, to tell you the truth....

i'm sorry that convo was so awkward for you! that's why i ended it when i did....next time, you should just announce, THIS IS AWKWARD, and then run away. haha i think that a handshake with Lysander would be awkward whether or not he was holding things - so good decision.

Gretchen said...

i have no idea who all the people are save for you and jackie

ec said...

me neither gretch...I like the name choices though...although I can't always tell the gender
Lysander = guy
Kerry = guy
?

Tea said...

yes, lysander and kerry are both guys. Kerry is in my science research class, and my mom is probably going to hire him to gardening over the summer, which should be ... um ... fun ...

it was awkward, but I'll manage.

Gretch, I'm sorry for your lack of knowledge, if you ask me who people are on facebook chat or in person I'll tell you.

and I'm probably about half done, but I already have two and a half single spaced pages, so I think I might have to edit my original idea down a bit.

Tea said...

as far as the other people go- Ryan has identifying characteristics given in previous posts, Cammie has taken on her brother's name as a nickname, and Ida's last name is a characteristic of the real life Ida.

if that helps at all (;

ec said...

HAHAHAHA...I have NINE pages single spaced and I still have a little more to go...I may have to cut!!!! This could be a new record for me though...my longest paper was 12 pages double spaced!!

Nyx said...

vicky, you are a paper-writing beast!