Pages

May 9, 2009

Jokes

Sometimes, Mario and I attempt to be funny, but we are often unsuccessful in our pursuit of jocular entertainment. For instance, today on the train, we were waiting for the conductor to come and punch our tickets, so I decided to try one of my New Math jokes out on him.

"If people tried to trick me by swapping ticket stubs," I said, "I would definitely notice. Then again, I would never want to be a conductor."
"Yeah, all day, every day, back and forth and back and forth and back and forth..." He began trailing off.
"Oh! I definitely heard a joke about conductors recently. What was it?"
"Back and forth... Ha!" He starting rifling through his omnipresent notebook.
"Oooh! I got it!"
He stopped and looked up.
"Okay, so," I said. "If lightning hits the back of a train, how long before the guy driving it at the front dies, provided he's a good conductor?" I waited expectantly for a response.
Mario thought seriously for a moment. "I don't know."
"It's a pun. He has to be a good conductor to get electrocuted."
He looked confused. "But how long does it take?"
"A conductor of electricity? And a conductor on a train..."
He thought for a moment more before it dawned on him. "Oh. That makes sense."

We sat in silence for a brief moment.
"So what were you going to say?" I asked.
"Oh!" He pulled out his physics packet and began searching for it. "There's a word in here, for when the electricity goes to *(physics word)* and back to *(physics word)*, then the first one starts pulling it back, then the second one, and it goes back and forth and back and forth."
"Like alternating current?"
"I dunno. But look, I have a graph, see?"
I scooted closer and looked over his shoulder. "Um...no. I don't think I know enough physics."
"Yes you do. I just explained it. It goes back and forth and back and forth!"
"Why is that funny?"
"Oh. It's not really, I guess. It's just that it goes back and forth, just like the conductor."

5 comments:

ec said...

WOW you two should open a husband and wife comedy act...and take it on the road in an RV and play clubs in vegas right before or after the main numbers...you could call yourselves the "Hilariously Crazy Scientists"

and for all Mario's knowledge he couldn't figure that joke out...even I got it...that says something. and he actually wanted to know how long it took?!

by the way, how are you celebrating mothers day? I have spent almost all day today making a "Health Tips for the Sanitary Soul" book for my mom (it's not serious, she's a little obsessed/paranoid about not catching swine flu...)

Tea said...

currently I've done....um....nothing, pretty much. I'm a horrible daughter.

Nyx said...

actually it took me a while to figure it out too, the first time i heard it i didn't get it. then next time i was with hannah and she goes, hahhaha that's hilarious! and then i finally got it.
i suppose i'm making breakfast
and going to church :(
and i made her a necklace out of seaglass which i originally intended to be for my aunt, but i didn't have the energy to start a new one. so....re-pre-gifting for the win?

ec said...

tea...you are a bad daughter...here's what you should do for your mom: discover a new chemical element and name it after her! what mother wouldn't love that?

Gretchen said...

i think it is alternating current.
haha, you guys have funny stories