Pages

May 6, 2009

Education

My beloved readers: I am currently very tired, so I will leave you with some things from my school life. I was going to give you my Power of One essay from last year, about the supreme awesomeness of Gutenberg (printing presses ftw), but it's a rather well-written paper, and is, thus, both impossible to make fun of and decidedly boring. I did, however, find my planning for my midterm essay on Art Throughout the Ages, so I figured I'd give my year-later summary of that.
From the renaissance, we have the Last Supper, a painting of Jesus and some other guys who look like Jesus, and they are eating supper. It was Jesus's last supper, but everyone else was probably going to eat again tomorrow. Unless they were attending the execution, in which case they probably decided to fast. The Renaissance government was really decentralized, mostly because everyone was so busy trying to be Renaissance Men that they didn't have time to specialize in government and, you know, govern, and whatnot. They mostly went to church instead, cause they were all Catholic. So, the art was Catholic, with lots of Saints and other dead people who were also Catholic. Catholicism was kind of a big deal back then.
During the Reformation, things were reformed. Martin Luther, who is like Martin Luther King only white, redid the whole religious thing and created protestantism. This would establish him as the original goth teenager, as he struggle to be nonconformist and not be Catholic inspired him to go hang out in a different place where everyone was the same, just a different the same.
In Ancient Greece, there were a lot of naked people. We know this because there are lots of pictures of naked greek people. The fancy explanation for this is that they appreciated the human form. The real explanation is that Greece is near the equator and, thus, is really fucking hot. If it was a zillion degrees out and you had no air conditioner, I think that you, too, would rather run around naked.
So, Art reflects culture. Catholic art is Catholic, Reformative art is not Catholic, but it's all protestant, which is kind of the same thing. Greek art is pretty much all naked.

The End

Also, I'm going to leave you with a quote. You're welcome to guess where it's from, although I doubt you will.

"I think that I love society as much as most, and am ready enough to fasten myself like a bloodsucker for the time to any full-blooded man that comes my way."

5 comments:

ec said...

HAHAHAHA...I love your midterm planning: I would have never guessed that "During the Reformation, things were reformed" In additions your added insight into the last supper was VERY enlightening.
I also love that Martin Luther is a white goth version of MLKJR

Is the quote from pertinax?

Tea said...

no, it's thoreau. It was on my desk, and it tends to be very quotable, so i figured I'd pull something out of it.

ec said...

C'est dommage, de voir comment mon français est bon? Je suis un prodige.
Par ailleurs, Mme Opmin a redonné la EOQR aujourd'hui!

HAHAHAH see how good my french is....










thanks to google translator, although I'm am trying to learn it... BTW: guess who needs chem help tomorrow morning?

Tea said...

no fair! I want my rubric!

Nyx said...

yay thoreau! you know, he could totally be goth himself, because he wanted to escape from society and conformism....him and martin luther should have a goth-off.